Saturday, August 14, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

I thought everyone knew how to make Red Beans and Rice, but everytime I make them, someone always asks me "How do you make this?" So I decided to post it here!

Ingredients:
1 pkg. dried red kidney beans
1 pkg. Seasoning blend (frozen)
Tonys
garlic
*sausage* optional

Chop a few cloves of garlic and place into a large bowl. Add dried beans and cover with water. Let them soak overnight. In the morning, drain the beans and rinse them off real good.

Add beans to the crockpot along with the seasoning blend and fill with water. (covering the beans by about 2-3 inches)
Cook on LOW for about 6 hours or HIGH for about 3 hours.
About an hour before you are ready to serve them, add about 1/8 cup of Tonys. (yes, that much) ----you could add a little bit every hour, but since I cook this while I am not home, I just add it all at the end.
This is the time you would add the sausage. Cut it up and cook on the stove until brown. Add to the beans.
Cook for another hour or so. You may need to add more water during the process.

Serve over rice. And with cornbread and greens!

No comments: